Tuesday, August 30, 2011

My Tomato Salad


Now, as they are in season, vendors are almost giving away tomatoes.  Take advantage of this largess and try my tomato salad recipe:

Peel three or four large dead-ripe tomatoes (this is important ... try dipping them in boiling water for a few seconds to loosen the skin) and cut them into bit-sized pieces.  Put this into a large bowl.  Clean and dice a small bunch of scallions and add them.  Chop a good four or five sprigs of Italian parsley and add to the bowl.  If you want, you can also add chopped fresh basil and oregano (I often don't.)  Add a good five-finger pinch of salt and about six grinds of fresh black pepper.  Squeeze in a half a juicy lemon through your fingers to catch the seeds.  Add about four dollops of good olive oil and about three of a good (but not great) balsamic vinegar.  Mix well and refrigerate until cold.  (I know, I know, you are not supposed to refrigerate tomatoes ... but trust me on this.)

If you can keep from eating this all yourself, serve what is left to your good friends and family ... with a good crusty bread to soak up the juices. 

No comments:

Post a Comment